Monday, November 16, 2009

supper yumminess!

I am a Celiac and as such I'm always on an adventure in baking and cooking gluten free. Yesterday my mom asked if I could make a gluten free treat for her to serve at her get together this morning. We didn't have alot of gluten free goods in our house so I dug out my cookbooks and searched for a recipe that didn't use alot of flour in it. I found this wonderful recipe for fudgy brownies and so I decided to try them using the Bob's Redmill Gluten Free All Purpose Mix instead of the flour they called for and well they turned out to be the best brownies I've ever eaten!! They were crunchy on the outside and perfectly soft, moist and chewy on the inside. I'm definately considering making more today since I only got to have a taste test of them yesterday. And I am going to share the recipe :) I got it from the 125 Best Gluten Free Recipes cookbook and I made a couple adjustments to the recipe so I will post the cookbook version and then my version.

Fudgy Brownies (the cookbook way)

1/3 cup yellow pea flour
2 Tbsp potato startch
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup shortening
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

Glaze
2 tsp shortening
2 oz White chocolate

In a large bowl or plastic bag combine dry ingredients and walnuts. Mix well and set aside. In a large bowl, microwave shortening and chocolate on medium for 3 minutes until partially melted (or melt in a saucepan over hot water). Stir until melted, add eggs one at a time, stirring to make sure its blended. Stir in Vanilla extract. Slowly add the dry ingredients, stirring until combined. Spread evenly in a prepared pan and let it stand for 30 minutes. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out with little moist crumbs on it. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Let cool for 15 minutes on the rack and prepare the glaze.

Glaze:
In a small bowl partially melt chocolate and shortening. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted. Spread onto brownies and enjoy!


Fudgy Brownies (my way)
1/3 C + 2 Tbsp Bob's redmill gluten free all purpose mix
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp GF baking powder
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 C soft margerine
1/2 C semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs

In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, mix well. In a small microwavable bowl, melt margerine and chocolate chips on high for 3 minutes or until the chocolate chips are partially melted. Stir until melted the rest of the way. Add eggs and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well, make sure the batter is nice and smooth. Add chocolate mixture and mix well. Pour into prepared cake pan (an 8 inch square pan works great). Bake in a 350 F oven for 10 -15 minutes until the top is starting to get crispy but its still really soft and doughy. Turn off the oven and let it bake indirectly for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the brownies are fairly firm. Remove from oven and let cool in pan. You can glaze or ice them if you wish but I found they were perfect just the way they were.

And the piece de resistance....the yummy yummy brownie...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment